Friday, July 12, 2013

Kaiju Week Finale: Canceling the Apocalypse!

Greetings for the final day of Kaiju Week! Today we see the launch of Pacific Rim in theaters. Guillermo Del Toro's love letter to mecha and kaiju movies alike! Lets see what what we have for this finisher!

Dun dun dun!
Here we have the first large scale kaiju toy I ever received. A non-official "Godzilla" by U.K.R.D. In all honesty I thought this was by Imperial or something till I read the bottom of his foot just now.

 
Accept this imitation!
This one is actually taller than the following figures. Being quite large and sturdy, this thing has not shown any real wear over the years other than some minor paint wear. I remember how perfect this figure was to stomp around my wooden train set. As well as smash any Lego cities that happened to be erected for the occasion. As a good representation of Godzilla it fails. For being a licensed toy, also fails. But for being a great childhood toy? It passes with flying colors. Everything you want it to be without breaking any bank. I remember there was also a more brown variation I saw on a shelf once. Glad I got the green, its clearly cooler.

MechaGodzilla go!
The only other figure I have ever owned of Kiryu. He and the final two figures, are from the largest scale of figures from the Bandai Creation line. I believe this is all of them, unless more were added recently.


Giant robot glory
This line has great detail and size (about a foot tall), well painted, and some articulation. For Kiryu here the articulation is in his neck joint, shoulders, and tail. The only thing I'm not big on with this set, it is the way the legs are done. Kiryu for example has one leg out and and another in. He is far from the worst offender though.

Screaming chicken
Gigan, as seen in Godzilla: Final Wars. The last movie produced by Toho in the Godzilla series (for now). First off, I love all the details in this figure and I'm happy to have this Gigan in a scale like this. However, this has the most awkward set of legs in the entire set of large figures. His legs, are bent at the knee, and the joins for them are placed at the oddly shaped hips. The other rotation points are the wrists, and shoulders. It makes them look weird if you try to move or pose them at all. His pose is a slouching posture, so hes becomes shorter than the other two. Its like he has a bad back. I love the idea of this figure, they just made so many weird decisions, that I can't love the figure itself as much.

Still.. Nothing can beat the FUCKING ANCHOR!

Finale!
Last but not least, is Godzilla, from his Final Wars incarnation. I serious miss of a movie. A film where the titular kaiju take a backseat to Matrix style fight scenes between humans and aliens. Disappointing.


Not a happy camper
As much as I am disappointed by the film, I can't deny that I like many of the updated designs from it. Godzilla especially. This figure shows off alot of the details in the design. Narrow snout, visible ears, slim frame, nice spikes, plenty of neat details here. The articulation points on this one are the head, arms, legs, and three points on the tail. Cool toy, and I suppose these legs work for being much more neutral than the other two. All and all, a cool toy.

I hope you all enjoyed Kaiju Week! To finish things off, here is a trailer for Pacific Rim:


Get your butts in the seats! We absolutely can NOT let Grown Ups fucking 2 beat this. Thats not a war I'm prepared to lose.

Catch you all next week!

2 comments:

  1. Cool! The only one of these I've got myself is the Godzilla one. Also, I think I mentioned it earlier but this is the big trendmasters Godzilla I have: http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery2/gallery/d/5953-10/godzilla_trendmasters1.jpg It's almost the same size, probably a little smaller...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, neat! I had a similar one, but it was from the New York playset and it shot an atomic breath missile. I miss that set lol.

      Delete