Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Kaiju Week: Addendum

Welcome back! I wasn't able to post anything last week, I was rather busy and tired, so here is what I intended to do then... Now.

 Top of the line man eater
Now, I meant to post this during kaiju week, but as it so happens it was buried in my closet and I didn't have the energy to dig it out and you can guess the rest. This is a Kaiyodo Revoltech figure of Gyaos from the 1995 kaiju film; Gamera: Guardian of the Universe. Part one of Shusuke Kaneko's Gamera re-imagining. Guardian of the universe managed to bring Gamera into a new light, alot less campy and more serious with a new origin involving a lost civilization. Gyaos is the antithesis of Gamera, instead of protecting humanity, Gyaos feeds upon it (this involves a rather disturbing scene of Gyaos eating a train-car full of passengers. As a kid, this didn't faze me, and yet as an adult it feels a little unsettling). Gyaos also has the ability to reproduce asexually, this compounded by an element in the second movie, and global warming leads to more hidden eggs hatching around the world, thus creating a swarm of Gyaos in the third and final film in the trilogy.


Poseable-y
Kaiyodo Revoltech is a Japanese line of highly detailed, and and poseable figures that involves characters from many properties (Gamera, Godzilla, Alien, Predator, Batman, several animes, etc etc). Gyaos here is around five inches tall, with at least fifteen points of articulation. Very accurate to it's 95' movie portrayal, this figure has alot to offer.




Shadow of Evil, or is that the flash?
 There is plenty of great detail here, you can see not only the pterosaur influence, but much of the bat that also works it's way into the design. The wings are thin, but durable pieces of fold-able rubber, allowing for extra posing, as well as guilt free flapping!


 I believe I can fly...
Like most Revoltechs, Gyaos comes with a stand. This stand when put together has a small hoop that requires you to pull apart Gyaos' top and bottom halves and then re-assemble them with the hoop in the middle. Revoltech figures are pretty durable, and their joints are interchangeable so if one were inclined to do so, mixing a few kaiju parts is a definite possibility. Also notice how there are three joints in each wing alone! And most details are molded, they always make these things worth the price (about $30-40 is what I usually am willing to pay).


 Terror at one and half inches!
Most Revoltechs include alot of accessories for extra posing and play value. Since not alot can be applied to Gyaos, they gave him a small replica of him in flight. Surprisingly, the true purpose of this figure is for dioramas in which you place it to look far away. An example of this is in the last photo. That is oddly specific. I'll just pretend it is a hatchling as I've always done. Really well detailed for something so small. Given my love of minis, this might be my favorite part of the whole set. More Revoltechs should come with minis like this! Let me create my own incredibly small kaiju battles!

More family photos

Still have yet to see Pacific Rim yet, but I'm sure as hell trying. Catch you folks later!



2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I don't have any Revoltech figures but I'd love to get some, they're so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty cool! I also have Anubis from Zone of the Enders:

      http://zoneoftheenders.wikia.com/wiki/Anubis

      Delete