Sunday, July 7, 2013

Kaiju Week: Day 3 Millenium Minis

Day three, as we inch closer to the release date of Pacific Rim in theaters. Today isn't heavy on kaiju pictures, but its all related. I'm padding the hell out of this aren't I?

Millennial Monster
From "Godzilla Against Mechagozilla" (aka Godzilla X Mechagodzilla) from 2002. This came in a two pack of figures, the other being the second titular monster. Both came in a nice box with a single piece of lemon candy. Sadly that box is nowhere to be found anymore. These figures are about 3 inches or so tall, nearly twice the height of the Bandai Creation figures. This figure has joints above the elbows, and the thighs. There is also a seem that allows you to remove the spikes on his back, much like how the actor would get into the suit. I rather like this iteration of Godzilla since it fits pretty much everything I want in a Godzilla design, hits all the right points for being more reptilian than the Heisei design. I have a hard time picking favorites however.

Bright and Shiny Past
The second figure from the aforementioned two pack. Mechagodzilla (aka Kiryu) has joints on the shoulders, the waist, and the base of the tail. This is my favorite version of Mecha-G for several reasons. I really like all the techno details. Sleek design without being too much so. Neat set of weapons, good use of blue to contrast the silver, the fact its built on top of the original Godzilla's skeleton is also really awesome. While the face design doesn't make alot of sense given the shape of the skull underneath, I still think he is pretty sweet!


Micro War Machines
These are some Micro Machines from Hasbro before they finally cancelled the brand. Quite a shame considering how nice these are, and perfect for playing with kaiju figures! The barrel on the tank can pivot up and down, the top can also rotate completely around as well. As for the jet, you can actually fold out tiny landing gear. Seriously why did they let this series go? This is not just about the brand name, this is about cool stuff like this. Today tiny vehicles (smaller than Hotwheels) are not as easy to find thanks to the loss of Micro Machines. Damn you Hasbro!



Tiny Flight
Not actually Micro Machines, but some miniature die cast airplanes I picked up at Big Lots a few years ago. Generic, but also perfect for kaiju figures. The pack as you can see was mostly military vehicles, with a single civilian plane. Which is fine, though another passenger plane would of been nice.


Small Soldiers.
Some more generic stuff, yet also perfect for what I'd want to use it for! These soldiers are less than half the size of your standard Marx style army men. Small, but not too small. The whole reason I bought this set (note I have yet to see another one like it so I'm glad I picked this up) was for my hypothetical games of Monster Island: The Game of Giant Monster Combat specifically the expansion book that has rules for playing as the military. Monster Island is a pretty neat game (that I sadly only have played once with a friend, who was hardly interested) where you create your own kaiju (or re-create famous ones) from a pool of points and battle each other with rules for different environments, hazards, distances for beam weapons, and lots of stuff. Despite how it sounds, its actually rather simple to play and never gets too complex. Which keeps it fun, as you really only need some figures and some standard dice (as well as a ruler or tape measure for distance weapons) and a place to play. I figured these soldiers with their small size, and assortment of flags would be perfect for a military player. As they are smaller than the kaiju, but not too tiny and the couple varieties of molds will help differentiate unit types. The multiple flags and two different color soldiers even allow two players to be militaries without mixing up who is who. I thought alot about something I may never get to do huh?

Things are going to start getting bigger starting tomorrow. I will leave up with this video of some kaiju minis I sure hope I can buy in the coming months:

Also since it will not show up in the Blogger Youtube searcher, here is the video that I actually wanted to embed above:

2 comments:

  1. OMG OMG OMG THEY'RE MAKING PACIFIC RIM HEROCLIX!? HOW DID I NOT KNOW THAT!? *takes deep breath* Well, thank you for that informative blog post. I certainly know what I'll be saving up for now. ;-)

    Ahem, anywho...cool stuff! I, like you, also have a ton of those little vehicles, though none of the same ones as you. They are certainly the best.

    I also absolutely love those tiny soldiers! I haven't gotten any lately, and my supply is dwindling, but they are so perfect for playing with giant monster toys (or, as I so often did, normal-sized, dinosaur toys).

    Also, don't feel bad about getting supplies for something you may never play. I do it too (I think we may be the same person). Only everything I get is for Giant Monster Rampage. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12129/giant-monster-rampage Man, I'm gonna have to take pictures of all my stuff soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR? I was filled with so much want the moment I saw the videos too lol.

      Delete