Friday, July 5, 2013

Kaiju Week: Day 1 Showa

In honor of the upcoming premiere of the new kaiju movie, Pacific Rim, the next seven days will each see a posting featuring pieces of my kaiju collection! What better way to celebrate?

King of the Monsters, class of '54
For this post we will look at the first half of the Bandai Creation: Pack of Destruction. Released a few years ago in select retailers (such as Toysrus) this set had several small kaiju from Godzilla's roster of allies and foes. This figure is Godzilla in his original, 1954 incarnation from the original film. These figures have great detail, and this is one of the only two from the pack with any joints (the arms). From one radioactive horror to another...

Minya...
A character with a design that is kind of easy to dislike. Had they gone with the adolescent version in the concept art here, it might of been easier for more people to warm up to. This isn't a bad sculpt however, and I really appreciate all the little spines on his back.


Mothra, star of her own movie which was basically forgotten as she was absorbed into Godzilla lore, sans her trilogy in the 90s. Not bad sculpts, though I like the larva here more for some reason. Maybe I just think the imago form is just slightly too bright. Who knows, its not bad though.

Cyborg Mantis Chicken from Nebula M!
Ahh Gigan, one of my favorites from the Showa era for simply being so unique of a design. His awesome Trendmasters toy sure helped that opinion as well. This is a neat sculpt and all but the lack of silver painting
 on his hook hands is a little disappointing.

Thats it for today, I need to save some stuff don't I? See you tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. PACK OF DESTRUCTION! Man, I still feel lucky for finding that in stores (by accident, I wasn't looking for it)...

    I'd have to check mine to be sure, but I think you just got unlucky with Gigan. I'm pretty sure mine has all the silver, it looks like they just didn't get yours all the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, though I wish I could of found the Crumble Zone too lol. That way I'd at least have a backdrop for these figures. Plus the GMK figures looked pretty cool!

      Ahh, that could very well be the case.

      Delete