Sunday, September 29, 2013

Thats just Prime!

Hello again everyone, good to see you! This week's topic is much like the title says... Prime. But well get to that.

Abominus
This week we take a look at the Target exclusive, Abominus set. This set is five figures normally sold separately. And well... My thoughts aren't entirely flattering this time around.


Abominal indeed
This combined form has a hard time standing, I can't even get his weapon to form together like in the instructions, as the holes in the hammers won't connect correctly. This entire combination has to be an afterthought. It just doesn't hold together that well. By comparison, by same scale Revenge of the Fallen mini Devestator combiner is much more solidly built in both individual and combined forms. It actually works! This however, does not. I love the idea of a beast combiner, they are always great ideas. You should see the Grimstone set, granted while its in a slightly larger scale, it is much more functional than this. Onto the individuals.


Two heads are better than one
To show how rushed this set was, the back of the box has wrong names for almost everyone. Not even kidding. This one's actual name is Twinstrike, but the back of the box lists him as Rippersnapper. I actually wanted this one alone when I saw him on the shelf. He is kind of neat, but his transformation actually requires you remove his leg armor and re-attach it. Not something I expect out of a transformer, especially one this small. He is decent overall however.


A bird in the hand
Listed as Hun-Gurr on the box, this is actually the much less nonsensical WindRazor. Again, a decent figure, actually can't hate this one. I believe its a female, as the face seems somewhat feminine and she has high heels. Then again, so does Starscream. The difference between the figures in this set and those individual figures sold separately, is that these use translucent plastic. And the official combo instructions only come in this set I think as well. Transformation on this one is simple, no parts fall off. Might be the strongest one in the set.


You whippersnapper!
Not WindRazor as the box seems to think, but Rippersnapper. Man, is this guy's beast mode BAD. He is so awkward to look at. Like someone tried to split a chicken in half and just gave up. And yet the chicken somehow continued to live. His robot mode is decent, but making his feet into his split face was a bad idea. However you can lay his arms down for more support so it helps.



Actually got it right.
For once, this one has the right name on the box and instructions. Blight. Not a bad figure. I like his dinosaur/gorilla hybrid design. Unexpected. His robot mode is pretty solid too. Why can't I get a deluxe figure of him? I'd totally buy it.



Hungry?
Of course, incorrectly listed as Twinstirke on the box, this is actually Hun-Gurr. The main figure who is slightly larger than the rest. His beast mode works well, but his robot form has the worst idea for legs ever. The instructions actually tell you too have them face the other way so he has even LESS balance. Oi, such a rushed set of figures. I expect better next time Hasbro. Especially considering you have to drive specifically to Target to pick it up.

While this figure set is overall disappointing. I implore you, watch the series this is based on (even though these characters do not make an appearance). Transformers Prime is the current (and nearly concluded) Transformers TV show airing on the Hub Network. Transformers Prime (and it's 3rd season which includes the subtitle: Beast Hunters) is, in my opinion the best iteration of the series thus far. Transformers Prime first premiered in 2010 on The Hub. It has a really cool art style, epic fight scenes and incredible voice acting (SPOILERS) , exceedingly well animated with plenty of detail put into every character (such as no two characters, [sans Vehicon soldiers] having the same types of eyes). A serious tone that does not dumb itself down, Transformers Prime is not afraid to tackle concepts such as the cost of war and the death of comrades. Prime is also unlike other series in which marketing has gotten in the way of making a good story, unlike say Animated, or Beast Wars, Prime was not subjected to forcing characters back to life or into ridiculous changes just so Hasbro can sell a new toy. Both Animated and Beast Wars are fun (Beast Wars more-so), but now that I'm older I can more clearly see their flaws (Hub was airing Animated recently and I caught and re-caught alot of episodes, and boy I could dedicate an entire post to how many problems I have with the show now, sure it is still got some cool stuff I like in it but... Just save the rant lol) . Rose colored glasses don't work forever apparently. With more critical eyes I can definitely see Prime holding up for years to come. This Friday at 8pm/5pm on the Hub Network, the conclusion to the series in the form of a 90 minute film titled "Predacons Rising" will air, bringing closure to this amazing show. Again, I implore you, please give this show a chance, whether it be on TV, Netflix, DVD, Youtube, or anywhere else you might be able to find it.

See you all next week!

3 comments:

  1. What disappointment! The individual figures all look decent, but I agree that the group form is terrible.

    And I haven't watched any of the Transformers shows in ages, but when I get a chance I'll definitely give Prime a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, such a shame.

      And you must if you get the opportunity. It restored my faith in TV to a degree (so did Secret Saturdays, but more on that later lol).

      Delete
    2. OMG YES SECRET SATURDAYS!!! I have a feeling I know which toys will be showing up ;-)

      Delete