Saturday, August 10, 2013

Here there be dragons!

Second time in the past couple weeks I've used that phrase... Anyhow, if you haven't guessed by now this week's late topic is...

Dragons!
Lair of the Dragons tube by Safari LTD to be precise. There are actually two different tubes available. I only have the first tube, I hope to buy the second eventually, it has a plesiosaur dragon! What more could a person ask for? While these figures are neat, they do have a few hiccups.


Arise from the ashes
Ok, this first one isn't even a dragon at all. It's face might pass for a Quetzalcoatl or something. This is the set's Phoenix. This thing is in a rather odd pose, it has dragon like feet instead of bird claws. Look at this thing, it has pecs and everything, by far the strangest version of a phoenix I've ever seen. And I've played Soul Sacrifice. As a side note, you can find these figures sometimes for sale separately in plastic bins by Safari, these tubes are obviously just them bundling together to make it easier to collect them all. 


Mother, don't let your children walk my way..
This figure is labeled Tiamat, an ancient creature of Mesopotamian lore that birthed the gods, as well as being a living embodiment of the ocean. To be fair, there is no solid description of Tiamat, so you can not say they were wrong here. Though for a generic dragon figure, it looks pretty cool, I like the flight pose and all the detail.

What in the hell is this?
This is actually Wyvern. Ok scratch that, its misspelled so it is a Wyven. Are you serious? Are they serious? This thing has four legs, and four wings, and if you want to get even more into it, it is also breathing fire. This is just... I don't even. This is nuts. A decent figure though if you forget the random name they put on it (and pretty much everything else in this tube). Look, mythology, especially when it comes to dragons never has much set in stone. But there is no way this is a wyvern. Now this is a wyvern.


Names are not a strong suit here.
First things first, this is a neat looking figure, I like the shapes of the spines, the box like face, as well as cat style limbs. I would of gone with a different wing color, but otherwise I like him. The name you ask? Rahu. Moving on.

OK, I'll give you that one.
Not a bad figure, nice scale detail and everything. Good, basic design. The yellow is a little bright but it will do. This one is labeled as a Drake. No problems with that name here. Fits just fine. One of the only two figures where the printed name makes actual sense!


Last but not beast
The final dragon within this lair is... Peluda? I had to look this one up, and wow are they off base. The most distinct feature of the mythological Peluda is that it is hairy. This is not hairy at all. Looks more like he is trying to get someone's attention than actually be menacing. Though hes not terrible. Safari, next time just stick to something like "Blue dragon" or "Quad Wing Dragon" to name these guys. Its simpler and you can't be faulted for not picking names out of a hat.

That is it for this week, catch you guys later!

2 comments:

  1. Well...I don't think I can say that I'm disappointed that I don't have these.

    ReplyDelete