Saturday, June 22, 2013

More Misc!

Little late this week, but in my defense you got two last week. As a semi sequel to a previous post. lets look at some more unrelated figures! Quite a small opening text wouldn't you say?

Have you seen us?
Starting off are some dinosaur figures from an unidentified playset. They have no markings whatsoever, no made in China, nothing. I got these from a playset my father brought back for me as a kid from one of his business trips (to Arkansas maybe, he went on one pretty much yearly for a sort of Walmart convention thing, would always bring home a bunch of other random marketing supplies from the show along with him, such as various flashlights, stress squeezers, notepads with assorted logos. I still have a few of these random items just laying around). I can't remember much about the playset other than coming with these and some sort of area to play with them on (the background volcano is unrelated). Strangely a few years ago at a Ross I saw the box to this playset with the dinosaurs on it and everything. I kick myself for not actually buying it, hell I could of at least snapped a photo with my phone but no... I didn't think of that. The main thing that kept me from buying it was.. Well, have you ever been to Ross? A lot of the toys there are often in ripped or destroyed boxes because they re-sell the stuff other stores don't want for a reason. Usually missing pieces because of it. I'm pretty sure this set came with other dinosaurs and possibly another scientist (who is clearly nowhere as nicely sculpted as these two). A one in a million shot at this playset from the 90s again and I say no? If you have a time machine, feel free to go back to the vagueness of a few years ago and tell me to buy the damn thing. Or if you have any information on this playset, let me know in the comments!

Spine tingling?
Apparently I can't find the rest of these Dino Magic figures. I know I have at least a Pachy somewhere. Wherever it is, its not in the box I can tell you that much. I rather like this Spino to be honest. Though the art style in general for these figures is great, in fact heres the entire line (in art form) for your pleasure:
See how cool these are? See the awesome rarity system? See that Longis Quama who's rarity in toy form is surpassed only by his own general obscurity? I would love to have this entire line, I really would. But paying for it would be a serious chore. Oh cruel gods at Mighty Moose...

Its like a Disney Movie
Two figures from Disney's Dinosaur. Now my memory is likely off, but I think these came in slime or something. These are the only two I managed to acquire. These being a Carnotaurus and a Pachyrhinosaurus. Love or hate the film, they certainly brought Carnos into the spotlight. Though, rather overblown. Plus the movie had Leonard Nimoy as one of the voices. If you don't get points for that I don't know what deserves to.These are actually very nice sculpts, and the only Pachyrhino I own too.

 
Just add water!
More from the line of Disney's Dinosaur movie. These are from a set of figures known as "Skelechargers". They idea was that you could place these in warm water and they would change color (in case of the Velociraptor) or go semi-translucent. They were available in either two packs, or a full set package. I had the full set pack, though only these two have managed to survive. Surprised I lost the Carno... The effect on these seems to vary, the skeletons are hard to make out, and with the Velociraptor its even hard to see as its only a slight difference in paint when it comes to bone detail. The Velo is still a nice sculpt, and probably a good representation too (minus feathers) at least at the time of the film's release. The Styracosaurus (aka Eema) is decent at least.

Funny colors
Not a lot to say about these guys, other than I got them from art class in High School, as the teacher provided a bunch of random stuff to turn into a diorama. I kept a couple of these dinosaur figures for myself. I'm not going to permanently glue some Plesiosaurs to anything ok? And these are definitely the same mold as the Plesio from my first post. Only about half the size and made from plastic instead of rubber.

Fire breathing madness
Ok, not dinosaurs. But this is the best place to put them for now. These are identical in concept (because they are by the same company) to the Dino Magic figures. Creatively called Dragon Magic, these figures were randomly packed in baking soda like eggs to be fizzed away, revealing your dragon with mix and match parts. Of these two my obvious favorite is the plesiosaur/Loch Ness monster one on the bottom. The top one is much more generic. The offerings in this set were much slimmer with a couple recolors for each mold. But on the top, Ultra Rare tier was a "Dragon Hunter" who looked like a caveman with a tooth necklace, scraggly beard, stone tipped spear, and animal skin toga than his namesake. This is REAL dragon hunting armor!

And here is the weekly update on the capsule. Damn did this grow fast! Its about time to transfer this thing to something larger.

See you all next week!

2 comments:

  1. That little unknown scientist man looks SO familiar! It's like having a word stuck on the tip of my tongue...

    Ugh, I forgot Longis Quama was a rare figure...I got two of those bastards!

    And I loved those Disney Dinosaur toys! I definitely had all those Skelechargers, and we must have shared a set because Carnotaurus is the only one I DO still have. =P I also have the carnotaurus with light-up eyes that roars...

    And I'm just curious, if you mentioned it I either missed it or forgot about it, but what's the volcano from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it is from some really obscure playset from a no name company. Though if you happen to figure it out be sure to speak up lol.

      Very nice, and very lucky lol.

      This is the first time I put up this volcano. Its from a Hasbro "Pro-Doh" dinosaur set, I was going to take some pictures of it for this week's post in fact!

      Delete