Monday, June 10, 2013

Jurassic Part 2

Actually posting early this week, wow! Continuing where we left off, here are more some more Jurassic Park figures!

Flock like a bird!
First up this week is a die-cast Gallimimus. This is from the first film's merchandise. Sold in packs of two (I have sadly lost the Pteranodon this came with) and rather well painted. I have always really liked the color scheme on this guy. Its colorful, makes me think of something tropical, overall I just love it! The base and some of the face paint have suffered wear over the years, but considering its 20 years old, its not half bad! Always liked the broken tree too, for some reason I always thought the base was set in a swamp or something. No idea why.

Chaos is not yet in Effect
This Parasaurolophus came packaged with the large Tyrannosaurus from last week. While I think its a good sculpt, I am still baffled by the color scheme. It definitely was not this color in the movie. And even stranger this was before the (in)famous Chaos Effect line came out. It would be right at home there. And yet it pre-dates it. So strange. No other dinosaur in the Microverse line to my knowledge goes this crazy with color. I couldn't possibly solve this mystery, can you?

Yep, yep, yep.
From the original Jurassic park figure line, this came with a human figure (one of the kids I'm pretty sure). Though I did not receive it that way. Pretty sure I got this guy at.. I suppose it was a flea market? I was so young I only have vague memories of some sort of outdoor garage sale with tents. And flea market fits that to a T so I'm just going with that. Anyhow, its a good sculpt with nice detail, but the pose is rather off. I get that the figure was likely done this way so it could fit in the package with the other figure, but still. The eye for  a level of accuracy (look its not incredibly high, I love scaly, reptilian dinosaurs more than the feathery ones) in me screams at the posture. Oh well, what can you do?

Triceracaption
This guy is from the same playset as the young Tyrannos from last week's post. Unfortunately I only have one left (also the Stegosaur I mentioned, I still have it just had its tail chewed off by our dog, so its in a drawer somewhere). This one is pretty good, I don't like it as much as the JP3 one, but hes still nice. And he is bigger too. Like his practical color scheme/pattern too.

Heavy metal raptors
Some more die cast dinos! Only these two are from The Lost World line. Despite some paint wear, they have stood the test of time pretty well. Then again when you are made of metal, you sure as hell better. I like they are great for filling out a mini dromeosaur pack, movie style color and stripes, nice paint apps. Nothing really to be disappointed about with these two.

Not quite sure here..
A young Velociraptor from the JP3 line, much like the above para it came with a human figure ( Paul Kirby I think). I also have a Spino, T.rex, and Pteranodon like this from the same line, but they are in an action figure drawer instead for some reason. I have a hard time deciding how I feel about this particular one. While I like the face and overall build, there is no way it looks like a raptor. It seems more like a large lizard or something. I don't know, it just doesn't seem right. I like it, but not for the reasons its meant to be. Look at those teeth!

Hostage situation
Last but not least, some more Lost World die cast figures. These guys came with some die cast vehicles, but I sadly no longer have them. Not sure if the human is supposed to be anyone in particular, or why hes holding a phone and a gun, but overall he works in most dinosaur toy situations. The dinosaur is meant to be a baby tyrannosaur. I like his color scheme, but considering the scale here he seems huge. If he were in a therapod pose I'm sure he'd have double the weight of the juvenile from the film. I like him for the uncommon pose though. Great for a nest scene. Overall a really neat figure!


And because I said I would, here is the first progress picture on the Gro Bubbles. I didn't plant all the seeds it came with as it came with a LOT:


I will save these for another time. So far so good! If this post felt short for you, don't worry. That is all I'll say. Later!

P.S. Also because its my favorite Action League episode, and its related, enjoy this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIFEMIzehWs

5 comments:

  1. Plant's looking good so far!

    Now let's see, I have the orange parasaurolophus, the triceratops, and the pictures don't look familiar but I'm pretty sure I had one of the die-cast raptors at one point. I don't have that young raptor but I do have the similarly-sized t-rex and spinosaurus. I always liked the scale they were made at...

    Also, speaking of die-cast vehicles, do you remember one that was like a long truck with a t-rex in back? He could tilt forward, and when he did a guy would pop up from the cab of the truck and fit in the t-rex's jaws...I loved that toy so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely it seems almost twice as tall since this posting in fact lol!

      Maybe it was this? http://www.jptoys.com/collectible-database/die-cast/lost-world/rage-rig-rex/index.htm

      Delete
    2. YES that's it! That thing was the best!

      Delete
    3. And THIS http://www.jptoys.com/collectible-database/die-cast/lost-world/fuel-depot/index.htm is the playset I mentioned in one of the other comments...probably the most played-with playset of my childhood.

      Delete
    4. Very cool, I never had any of the larger playsets for that line, had plenty of Mighty Max though lol.

      Delete